Skin Care (part 1)


I've decided that my first real post is going to be about one of my obsessions...skincare. In the past I've always had trouble with my skin and I didn't really know how to manage it. I want to talk about some of my favourite products as well as some tips I have been given that help me keep my face healthy and happy. I'm going to split this post into two parts so it's not so long as I plan on going into a bit of detail.



First, the most basic step of anyone's skincare routine: cleanser. There are so many on the market - from gels to milks to acne fighting to illuminating - it can be difficult to narrow it down to just one. As someone who has tricky skin, I am always looking for a cleanser that is going to completely clear out my pores while still being gentle. My personal favourite cleanser is the one and only Cetaphil. Cetaphil can be found in almost any grocery or drugstore in the United States and has been raved about by doctors and celebrities for years. It is a tried and true product that was recommended to me by my own dermatologist (who uses it herself) when I was in junior high and I have loved it ever since.


If you are looking for a cleanser that fights acne, there are two that I can count on to get the job done. The first is The Body Shop's Tea Tree Skin Clearing Foaming Cleanser. I tried this for the first time whilst living in London and I was very pleased with the results. It is available in both the US and UK. The main ingredient is, of course, tea tree oil which has been lauded for it's acne clearing properties and it leaves your skin feeling fresh and not too dried out. The second cleanser I would recommend for acne prone skin is Lush's Herbalism. I love this product not only because it really does keep my skin clear with the use of all-natural ingredients, it also contains ground almonds which help to gently exfoliate your skin. The only drawback of this product for me is it is mainly recommended for oily skin so it does tend to dry me out.


Fortunately, there are products specifically made to help skin from drying out: moisturizers! If I had to pick my favourite beauty product there's a very good chance it would be moisturizers since my face is extremely dry. However, not only do moisturizers hydrate skin, they also replenish lost nutrients, illuminate, plump for a healthier appearance.

It's usually very humid where I live so my skin is relatively easy to deal with during the warmer months, but it starts to fight me as soon as the temperature drops and everyone's heaters kick on. I can always count on that dry heat to suck all of the moisture out of my skin. My saving graces have been Origins' GinZing and High-Potency Night-A-Mins. These two products go to battle for my skin every morning and night, respectively, and I could not be happier with them. GinZing contains coffee bean and smells like citrus to help wake your skin up in the morning and keep it glowing all day long. Night-A-Mins smells so lovely and helps to relax you as you fall asleep while replenishing your skin with the vitamins it needs overnight. It also helps prevent those dreaded pillow creases we all sometimes wake up with! These products have the perfect consistency - almost like a creme crossed with a gel - which is the perfect mix as I've found that creme moisturizers tend to sit on top of my skin and lack absorption while gels can become sticky as they absorb and dry.



Stay tuned for part 2 of my skincare ramblings! In my next post I will cover serums, exfoliators, and more. Let me know if you have any questions about the products I have mentioned. Your thoughts are always welcome!

Sarah xx

No comments:

Post a Comment