Skincare Crisis

(Model Paige Reifler looking fresh-faced, via instagram)

Happy hump day! So I know I've been talking quite a lot about my London trip, but this is something I wanted to touch on as it happened to me during said trip. While I have a long history with breakouts and sensitivity, my skin has been behaving quite well over the past few months and I've been extremely happy with it. However, that all changed while I was in London.



Since I spent the majority of my trip in a hostel, I didn't have the luxury of taking up time or space in the shared bathroom with my regular skincare routine. My skin definitely suffered. I was experiencing terrible breakouts and horrendous dryness near the end of my trip and during the first few days of being back home. However, my face has finally begun to clear up thanks to the tips listed below! Disclaimer: I am, by no means, a skincare expert. The following tips are based solely on personal experience.
  • Drink plenty of water: I have heard countless dermatologists say that drinking lots of water can help to clear acne. In addition to flushing toxins out of the body, water keeps you hydrated (duh). Staying hydrated is a key for radiant, fresh-looking skin. Chances are, if your body is dehydrated then your skin is most likely dehydrated as well. Keeping up your daily water intake will have a noticeable effect on the health of your skin.
  • Lay off the makeup: As someone who doesn't wear makeup everyday, this isn't a huge deal to me. However, I know many girls who feel utterly naked without something on their face. While it may seem like an impossible task, going sans makeup will work wonders in nursing your skin back to its full potential. (Tinted moisturizer or BB cream are also lighter options if you feel like going bare-faced is out of the question)
  • Stick to your routine: One of the worst things you can do to your skin is falling off the wagon when it comes to your daily routine. You know what I mean if you've ever tried a new product that seems to do more harm than good at first only to end up being the best thing to ever happen to your skin. Every time you change your routine, there will be a period of time where your skin has to get used to these changes. That's no good when your skin is feeling healthy, but it could spell disaster when you're in the midst of a skincare crisis.
  • Deep cleansing: This step is actually really simple as it's something you can do everyday regardless of the condition of your skin. I use my Clarisonic Mia 2 almost every time I wash my face. That coupled with my all-time favourite cleanser, Cetaphil, will ensure that you're completely removing all the dirt and buildup acquired throughout the day. A facial brush like a Clarisonic will also assist in gentle exfoliation.
  • Charcoal mask: I love the Origins Clear Improvement mask to really reach deep down in my pores and grab any buildup that my cleanser has trouble getting to. Pulling any impurities out of your skin will allow it to heal more efficiently. Make sure you blot your face with warm water prior to applying the mask to really open up your pores.
  • Be careful with cleansers and spot treatments for acne: Products like these may contain ingredients such as salicylic acid which can be extremely drying. I would stay away from these products if you don't incorporate them into your normal routine, especially if you are trying to combat dryness. Your face should clear itself up on its own if you aren't typically acne-prone. However, if you feel like you need something with blemish-clearing properties, I would stick to a kit like The Body Shop's Tea Tree Skin Care Kit, which includes a cleanser, toner, lotion, and spot treatment. Tea tree oil is all-natural and will be much gentler on skin as opposed to acids and synthetic ingredients.
  • Do not touch your face: This is a given. Anytime you touch your face, your hands transfer countless amounts of dirt, oils, and germs onto your skin. This will contribute to the blocking of pores and breakouts. Additionally, while I know it's tempting to feel around if you have a few pimples, touching these can actually lead to infection if bacteria from your hands were to make it into the open sore (cringe). If you absolutely must pop a pimple, make sure your face is clean and to thoroughly wash your hands with antibacterial soap. However, no more touching after you've initially popped it...hands off!
I can definitely empathize if you've been experiencing a skincare crisis. I am so proud of how healthy my skin has been recently so having a setback like this was, admittedly, a blow to my self-confidence. These tips are great because not only will they be helpful if your skin isn't in it's best shape currently, but they will also continue to keep it healthy. Remember, you're not the only one to suffer through periods of less-than-ideal skin so it's nothing to be embarrassed about! 

If you have any tricks or products that have helped to heal your skin in the past, please feel free to share them! 

Sarah xx

No comments:

Post a Comment