How to Wake Up from a Hair Nightmare


I am obsessed with bleaching my hair. This is something I've come to terms with over the last eight or so years. So obsessed, in fact, that my hair went past the point of being blonde, white, or platinum and I has silver/lilac hair for over a year. In the years I subjected my hair to these chemical processes, however, I learned how to nurse it back to health. My hair is naturally curly and dry, but because I treated it with such care it was quite rare for me to have a lot of frizz or breakage. Well, up until about six months ago, that is.



I went in for my routine root touch up and was seeing a new stylist since mine had left in the time that I was living in London. In hindsight I definitely should have asked more questions, but this girl came highly recommended. I also think I had my guard down since I was so used to amazingly qualified people handling my hair. When I looked in the mirror at the end of my appointment I was faced with multiple three-quarter inch tufts of hair sticking straight up along my part. I nearly broke down in tears then and there. My hair, my favourite accessory, was ruined.

I continued to lose hair in the weeks that followed. It was horrible. It was breaking off everywhere -from the top and crown of my head to the nape of my neck. I went from having so much hair that I needed two thick hair ties to hold it all up to not being able to use one at all for fear of it snapping all of my remaining hair off.

However, I turned my fear into determination after consulting with a trusted stylist here in the New Orleans as well as my friend Beth at Bleach London. They both gave me some really great advice that I could use in conjunction with my regular hair care routine to avoid losing anymore hair, keep my remaining hair healthy, and create a really solid foundation for new hair to grow.

Ditch the elastics

One of the worst things you can do to dry, brittle, or damaged hair is pull it up with tight elastics. Especially if those elastics have little metal clamps (which are notorious for snagging) holding them together. Scrunchies are great alternatives since the soft fabric will be gentle on hair.

Use good quality shampoo & conditioner

I used to only use high street shampoo and conditioners. I figured if my hair felt clean and soft then they must have been doing their jobs. However many of those products contain unhealthy sulfates and ammonia. I've been using Kerastase Resistance Bain Architecte shampoo for the past few years as well as alternating between Kerastase Masque Force Architecte and Shu Uemura Silk Bloom Restorative conditioner. The results are quite noticeable. All of these products help to rebuild the structure of the help, protect from further breakage and damage, and revitalise the look of hair. The Shu Uemura conditioner leaves my hair feeling extremely soft to the touch while my hair is visibly stronger after using the Kerastase masque.

Don't wash with hot water & avoid heat styling

Hot water can scald your hair and dry it out. Use lukewarm water for best results. Additionally, styling tools such as curling irons and straighteners can severely damage your hair if used improperly. If your hair is already damaged as badly as mine is, avoid these at all costs. However, if you need to style your hair in a pinch use a blow dryer with the heat on low only. It will take a while for it to dry, but certainly less time then from air drying alone. And don't forget heat protecting products such as Kerastase Nectar Thermique or Ciment Thermique.

Treat your hair

Hair treatments and masks are godsends. Just like you put serums and moisturizers on your face after you wash it or use a luxurious mask once a week, you should do the same for your hair. After I wash my hair I apply 3 pipettes of Kerastase Initialiste to the roots of my hair and rub it in. This acts as a serum to encourage new hair to grow stronger, thicker, and more resilient. Next, I separate my hair into two sections and work one pump each of Kerastase Fibre Architecte and Elixir Ultime Moringa Immortel through each section. I then work one more pump of the Fibre Architecte through the breakage along my part, the crown of my head, and the hair at the nape of my neck. These products repair and nourish, add strength and softness, and protect hair as well as having the added benefit of helping to detangle.

I also try to use an in-home treatment at least once every fortnight. My all time favourite hair mask is the Bleach London Reincarnation Mask. I've been using this product since it went on the market about a year and a half ago and I've always had wonderful results. It really helps to hydrate hair and deliver elasticity, which is a must for hair that is experiencing a lot of breakage.

For me, the worst part of having badly damaged hair is not being able to colour it. As I've already said, I was basically addicted. But even though I hate waiting, I know it's worth it in the long run to have my hair in the best condition it's ever been in. Worse things have happened than me having to "rough it" for a few months with my natural level-7 dark blonde.

I've learned a lot during this process, but I think the most important thing is to ask questions. Don't feel like a bother if you're seeing a new hair stylist and you want to know their qualifications. Speak out if you're concerned about what is being put on your hair. After all, you're paying them and you could be saving your hair!

Have you ever had a hair nightmare? If so, what are your tips, tricks, and favourite products (I'm a bit in love with Kerastase as you can see above) for nursing it back to health? Let me know in the comments!

Sarah xx

2 comments:

  1. I use the Bleach London Reincarnation Mask too and it's definitely my favourite too. Lovely post x

    www.allaboutthatmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the Bleach London Reincarnation Mask too and it's definitely my favourite too. Lovely post x

    www.allaboutthatmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete