Say No To Lime Crime

Hi pals! Today's post is going to be a bit different than what you'd normal find here. I'm sure if you're a makeup lover and are involved in the community you've heard about the recent drama surrounding the company Lime Crime.

Image via ssssamanthaa


Now it is not my intent for this blog to be a space for unnecessary criticism. I want everyone who reads my posts to feel like they are entering an environment of positivity. However, honesty and integrity are just as important to me. That's why you can always be assured you're getting my honest opinion about products I mention here. And for that same reason I felt it was necessary to discuss what's going on with Lime Crime.

I'm not going to go into great detail, but I will highlight some of the issues the company has faced in the past. One of the biggest allegations against Lime Crime that ended up being true was the fact that they were using beeswax in their lipsticks all the while claiming to only sell vegan products. This was obviously a huge deal as many people do not believe in consuming or using any products containing animal byproducts. Other allegations such as racism by Lime Crime's owner, the repackaging of products made by other companies, and poor (or nonexistent) customer service have been floating around since the company's inception.

To be honest, I wasn't aware of any of this until very recently as I'd not heard of Lime Crime until a year or two ago. Even then it wasn't really on my radar. It was only within the last couple of months that I considered buying some of their makeup, but I am SO grateful that I never did.

According to a statement made on Lime Crime's website, private customer information such as credit card information has recently become vulnerable: In mid-February 2015, with the help of a leading forensics firm, we were able to uncover evidence that hackers gained unauthorized access and installed malicious software ('malware') on our server...As a result, certain customer data was affected, including names, addresses, credit/debit card numbers and limecrime.com passwords (source). 

Within the last few days there have been many accusations made against the owner of Lime Crime regarding this security breach. Some have claimed that Lime Crime knew that the security system they had in place was not up to par while others are making much more serious claims. While I don't believe it's my place to divulge the details of these accusations, they are very concerning and would be extremely damning if true.

It's a shame that a company loved by so many has garnered such a tarnished reputation, but I felt compelled to make this post as someone who values honesty and integrity. However, I encourage you to not only take my word for it, but do your research on this subject as well. An abundance of additional information complete with sources is available with a quick Google search. Additionally, it is quite easy to find dupes for many, if not all, of Lime Crime products.

If you've had any negative experiences with Lime Crime especially regarding the recent hacking of their records, I encourage you to reach out to the proper authorities. It's very important to have it taken care of quickly and that the people responsible are held accountable for their actions.

I hope you're all having a great week!

Sarah xx

No comments:

Post a Comment