Sarah's Travel Essentials

The holidays are the most popular time for travelling which makes them one of the most hectic as well. There are some essentials that I always have on hand when travelling just to make things a bit easier. Hopefully my experiences will help you a bit next time you travel!


(image via Pinterest)

Must Haves
  • Comfortable, easy shoes: This is a must. Whether flying or taking a road trip, you always want to have super comfortable shoes that are easy to slip on and off. You never know how long of a trek between connecting gates you will have to take or if there might be a surprise security check (it's happened to me before).
  • Mobile charger/portable charger: One of my biggest fears when I'm on a trip, especially a long-haul flight, is that my phone is going to die. I can't imagine many other stress-inducing scenarios other than arriving in a new city with a dead phone and not being able to pull up directions. Also it's nice to be able to let family or friends know that you have arrived to your destination safely! Of course it's always a great idea to have your actual charger with you to be able to charge your phone during a layover or if you're lucky enough to have an outlet at your seat, but my favourite technological investment as of late is the portable charger. I use a Mophie, but there are numerous brands out that make these chargers which can be found at any store that sells cell phone accessories.
  • Backpack: I love backpacks when I'm travelling. You can fit virtually everything you need - laptop, cosmetic case, travel documents - in one. These days there are so many affordable, attractive backpacks to choose from that there should be no problem finding one that fits your personal style!
  • Cash: In my opinion, cash is a travel-must. There have been too many times (and once is one time too many) where I have gone to use a credit/debit card in a city I've traveled to only to find out my card issuer has frozen my funds. Most times it's to prevent fraud and should be appreciated, but you know how frustrating it can be if it's ever happened to you. Always have enough cash to get you through a day when travelling. Most major airports have foreign currency kiosks so if you are travelling to another country it's really convenient to convert a bit of cash to have on-hand just in case.
  • Lightweight jacket: Whether it's a jumper, raincoat, or hoodie, it's always a good idea to have some form of outerwear in your carry-on whilst travelling. You never know if an airport is going to be a bit chilly to accommodate the amount of people bustling around all day or if the vent at your seat is malfunctioning and blows cold air on you for an entire four hour flight. Additionally, it may be significantly colder in the city you're travelling to than in the one from which you departed. You never know how much that sweatshirt you grabbed before running out of the house might alter your trip!
Optional Beauty Items
  • Brush/comb: After trying to catch a little beauty rest during a flight you may occasionally find yourself with a bit of bedhead. It's always a good idea to have something on hand to tame your mane. My personal favourite brush, the Tangle Teezer, comes in a convenient travel-size and is super easy to keep in your cosmetics bag.
  • Dry shampoo: Another great beauty item to keep in your bag is dry shampoo. My all-time favourite brand is Batiste, but Bumble & Bumble also do a really great one that comes in four colours which allows for easy blending!
  • Facial Wipes: Anyone starts to feel a bit grimey with all those people crammed in such a small space. It's never a bad idea to have some cleansing wipes on-hand to aid in refreshing your face after a flight. I'm personally a fan of Simple's Cleansing Facial Wipes. They're gentle enough for sensitive skin, but easily wipe away any build-up and help to clear pores.
  • Hand sanitizer: I don't think this one needs any explanation.
  • Lip balm: All of that recycled, dry air on a flight can leave your lips feeling worse for wear. A hydrating chapstick is one of the easiest ways to feel even the slightest bit rejuvenated. 
  • Deodorant: I know this is in the "optional" section, but this is a travel must for me. Running around airports and sitting in stale airplane air for hours on end will take its toll on anyone. You may be going straight to your hotel from the airport for a shower, but I'm sure anyone you come in contact with along the way will be appreciative that you made use of this.
  • Toothbrush/toothpaste: Travel-sized toothbrushes and toothpaste are a lifesaver after flights. It's super easy to pop into the bathroom closest to your gate before or after your flight and have your mouth feeling minty-fresh!

I hope this list can be of use to some of you! People who travel often may have their own routine down pat and may find others' stressful (guilty), but I know how helpful lists like these were when I first started travelling.

Let me know what you think about my essentials in the comments. I'd also love to hear about any tips or tricks you may have for travelling!

Sarah xx

p.s. I will be leaving for London for two weeks on Friday. I'm going to be doing a regularly scheduled Wednesday post on Christmas Eve, but I have yet to decide whether or not I will post anything while I'm in the UK. I'll be sure to let you all know of my decision by Wednesday! Should I decide not to post, you can always keep up with my travels on Twitter and Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment